(By Gil Gerretsen) They say "Content Is King" right now. We think that's a bunch of malarkey! Everywhere we turn, we see lots of people and companies generating masses of content that nobody looks at or cares about. It reminds us of the same people who think that huge numbers of social media fans somehow equates to more revenue (it seldom does).
We live in a world where more and more people are looking for ways to REDUCE the clutter. They are overloaded and bombarded with stuff from well-meaning people who truly provide no value. Those "content providers" never see the light of day or are banished to the trash bucket with a second or two!
So ... if content is NOT king, then what is? Memorize this next phrase and embed it into your company culture. RELEVANCE IS KING! It does not matter how much content you pump out. Some people who pump out far less are likely outperforming you because they are finding ways to be relevant. So, with that in mind, here are 7 ways you can be relevant:
1) Be a source for new ideas: The world moves fast, so we all need a way to keep up with fresh ideas to feed our brain.
2) Show the way to a better future: Everyone has aspirations to make their life better and we need folks who help us get there.
3) Be a micro-specialist: There are a lot of social communities (hobbies, sports, careers, skills) that interest a deeply embedded network of loyal fans.
4) Provide wise counsel: We like to know what smart people think and why they believe it.
5) Help people feel good: The world around us can feel heavy at times, so we enjoy people who lighten the burden.
6) Be a center of debate: Sometimes spirited dialog with others helps us make sense of things and work through or modify our own opinions (yes, even politics and religion).
7) Be a targeted news channel: Many of us don't trust the big guys. We want to know what people on the front lines of our community or industry see and think.